Monday, June 7, 2010

Reading Through the Bible

In my last post I shared that I'm reading a chronological Bible. I have given myself a timeline in order to help me reach my broad goal of reading through the Bible.

My particular Bible is narrated so that makes for additional reading. The Old Testemant section of my Bible is a whopping 1336 pages! My goal is to read the entire Old Testement by the time our baby comes, sometime around mid-September. I'm currently on page 432. That leaves 904 pages to read in approximately 100 days. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect myself to read nine pages every day until my baby arrives. And if my baby arrives early? I'm doomed. I realize that nine pages doesn't seem like much but, the pages are large, the print is small and, quite honestly, some of the reading is a little dry. On top of that, I'm the mother of a toddler, 26 weeks pregnant and I'm exhausted when I prop myself up with pillows to do my daily reading. Suddenly, nine pages might as well be 90.

I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the Bible this way. I retain much more because it makes sense and all fits together. Obviously, when you tell a story in the order it took place it makes much more sense then when you mix up all the details and side plots. I'm beginning to wonder why all Bibles aren't written chronologically. Reading the Bible in order has been one aha moment after another. Picture me sitting in bed with a permanent lightbulb above my head that is constantly be clicked on.

If you've struggled with understanding the Old Testement I recommend you try reading it from a chronological Bible. It's like reading a book. I realize that sounds dumb; the Bible is a book. I guess what I mean is it reads more like a novel except it's history, exciting and worthwile history.

So, I'm reading towards page 1336. I'll let you know when I get there whether it's pre-baby or post-baby.

Back to my Bible--

J Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment